I really wanted a smartwatch, but not just any smartwatch, I wanted one that looked stylish, that I could wear whether I was at work, socialising, working out or just chilling. So I did a lot of research and the Fossil brand seemed to offer just what I wanted. I went into Park Jewellers in Golden Island Shopping Center in Athlone Town and the staff were so helpful. I decided on the Fossil Gen 4 Rose Gold Stainless Steel Smart Watch.
These are the features on the Fossil Gen 4 Smartwatch:
- NOTIFICATIONS: Fossil smartwatches use Bluetooth® technology to connect to your phone. When a notification or alert arrives, a gentle buzz lets you know right away.
- AUTOMATIC TIME ZONES: When travelling to another time zone, your Fossil Smartwatch automatically updates to the correct local date and time.
- CUSTOMISABLE DIALS: Match your watch to your mood or personal style and swap your dial whenever you want. The choices are endless.
- MICROPHONE: Use the built-in microphone to do a variety of tasks on your smartwatch using just your voice.
- CUSTOM GOAL TRACKING: Create custom goals to track what’s most important to you, like drinking water or exercising.
- WEATHER: You’re always prepared when you can get the forecast with a tap.
- SOCIAL WATCH FACES: Make your own dial by personalising select watch faces with your favourite Facebook or Instagram photos.
- CUSTOMISABLE BUTTONS: Control your music, check the date and more. Assign the functions you use most to your buttons.
- RAPID CHARGING: You won’t have to take your smartwatch off for long to charge it up – get up to 80% in one hour with rapid charging.
- ACTIVITY TRACKING:You move and it tracks steps, distance and calories burned.
- MULTIPLE TIME ZONES: Keep track of the local time and the time in another part of the world.
- CONTROL YOUR MUSIC: Control your music with your phone’s selected music player, whether it’s Spotify, Pandora, SoundCloud, Google Play, iTunes or Apple Music.
- LED FLASHLIGHT: Illuminate the interior of a bag or small area with the LED flashlight.
- WATCH APPS: Get the information you want and need the most at a glance.
- UNTETHERED GPS: Leave your phone behind. Use untethered GPS to track your run’s distance (and play your stored music) on your watch.
- CONNECTIVITY: Your wearable is compatible with Android and iOS smartphones, specifically with Android OS 4.4+ (excluding Go edition) or iOS 9.3+. All devices have Bluetooth® 4.1 Low Energy and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n.
- GOOGLE PAY™: Never get caught without your wallet again. Use your watch to make payments almost anywhere you can use a credit card.
- MUSIC STORAGE: Store music and apps directly on the watch so you can leave your phone at home.
- HEART-RATE TRACKING: From running to yoga (and more), this smartwatch measures heart rate automatically during a workout.
- CUSTOMISABLE WATCH STRAPS: Match your Fossil Smartwatch to your look in seconds with interchangeable straps.
- ALARM: Set an alarm for wake-ups and workouts (and every reminder in between).
- WIRELESS SYNCING: Automatically syncs to your phone so you can keep tabs on your activity and notifications without ever pushing a button.
- CALENDAR ALERTS: Never miss a meeting, party or event again with reminder alerts sent right to your wrist.
- DATE REMINDER: Check today’s date on your smartwatch at any time.
- STOPWATCH: Track your laps and time races with stopwatch mode.
- SWIMPROOF: Wash your hands, jump into the shower or hit the pool without fear. Your smartwatch will be safe and sound.
It didn’t take long to set up the watch. It was very straight forward. I had to charge it, which took about an hour (felt like forever though, as I was so eager to try it), and I had to sync it then to my phone (I have a Huawei P20). Then just like that, I had a mini version of a phone now on my wrist.
There is a google play store on the smartwatch, where I downloaded all the apps I wanted. It gave me a list of apps that were already on my phone that I could download on my smartwatch too. While there is no internet browser on the smartwatch already, there is an Interent browser app I downloaded from the Google Play Store, so now I can look up anything like I can on my phone.
I love how I get notifications on my watch and if someone messages me by text, whats app, messenger, email or instagram, I can reply to them on my smartwatch. The app I use a lot is the Google Fit. I love how it tracks how many steps I take, what my heart rate is throughout the day, how many calories I burn, it gives suggested workouts and also has gps to track when I go walking.
I am always changing the face dial on my smartwatch. There is such a variety of choice and you can even customise your own. You can change it from the smartwatch or the phone
The Google Pay app is so handy to have. Sometimes I don’t have my card on me, so I can just tap my watch anywhere that accepts contactless payment in store.
Just like my phone, the smartwatch recognises my voice and does voice commands. If I ask it to open an app or to look up something on the internet, it does. The same with replying to a message, I can just tell the watch what to write instead of pressing the keypad.
The battery life is grand if you set up your notifications right from the phone. It can drain really quickly otherwise. Every time I download a new app on to my smartwatch, I open the Wear OS app on my phone and check if the notification is on or off for it. I only have notifications on for the likes of incoming calls, messages and reminders. I have it turned off for the everything else. I can get the day out of my watch before I have to charge it. It charges to full in just over the hour, so I charge it first thing every morning while I’m getting ready. There is also a battery saver mode you can activate anytime on the smartwatch.
It says the smartwatch is swimproof, but I haven’t chanced it as I am too afraid. I have washed dishes in the sink forgetting I had the watch on and it is still perfect, but I always take it off when I am going for a shower, just incase. I’ll take Fossil’s word that it is swimproof.
Three more functions that are good is the alarm, where the smartwatch will vibrate to wake you on the time you set it for. This is great compared to the phone, which would wake half the house. The led flashlight that’s on the smartwatch, while it’s not overly bright like my phone, it has helped me find things in my handbag when there was little light available. The music control app is brilliant too. I have the phone playing my spotify music when I’m at home and the control comes up on my smartwatch to pause, forward or rewind. This is so handy as it saves me going back in to the room if I want to pause, repeat or forward the music.
It was the best buy ever. It does everything I want and more and it looks so stylish. So many people compliment my watch and I love the way it sparkles. Although it’s more gold in colour than Rose Gold, I still love it and it goes with any outfit or occassion. The features are amazing and I could not be without it now. If you are looking for a stylish, beautiful smartwatch, I would highly recommend the Fossil Gen 4 Rose Gold Stainless Steel Smartwatch. Fossil have a great range of smartwatches for both women and men.
I bought my Fossil Gen 4 Smartwatch in Park Jewellers, Golden Island Shopping Center, Athlone, retailing at €299. They also take deposits, so you can put yours aside and pay it off over time.